To find out more information about identity theft, consult the following resources.
Federal Trade Commission
Credit Reporting Agencies
- www.ftc.gov/idtheft or 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338)
- Call the FTC hotline or visit the website to get more information and to report identity theft to the federal government. You can fill out an identity theft affidavit via the FTC that will help you begin to work with companies, financial institutions, and creditors to restore your good name.
- Forward suspicious spam or suspected phishing emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experian (ww.experian.com or 1-888-397-3742)
- Equifax (www.equifax.com or 1-800-525-6285)
- TransUnion (www.transunion.com or 1-800-680-7289)
All three credit reporting agencies have fraud departments that will help you investigate potential inaccuracies on your credit reports.